Thread: Brass too short
View Single Post
Old April 14, 2013, 11:16 AM   #15
F. Guffey

bullet hold

Then there is the length of the neck and bullet hold, I am the fan of bullet hold, I want all the bullet hold I can get.

Then there is the 300 Win mag. neck length? The 300 Win Mag neck is .264” long (in the perfect world). I built a 30 Gibbs, the neck length is (or was) .217”, if the 300 Win mag neck is short, the 30 Gibbs neck is too short, and I fixed that, I increase the length of the 30 Gibbs by .040”, that made the neck length .257, that is not as long as the 300 Win Mag neck but it is an improvement over the .217” length neck. I did not have an issue with the short neck, I had an issue with the part of the chamber the case did not cover.

Then there are case formers and wildcatters, when forming 300 Win Mag cases some trim the neck, others increase the length of the chamber by reaming for longer necks then increase the length of the throat, that is not something that should be attempted without practice.

Then there is that slight chance of getting two different neck diameters as when the second reamer is smaller in diameter than the first reamer used to cut the original chamber.

F. Guffey

Last edited by F. Guffey; April 14, 2013 at 11:18 AM. Reason: remove one length

Page generated in 0.02161 seconds with 8 queries