View Single Post
Old April 30, 2005, 05:33 AM   #2
Pat Rogers
Member in memoriam

Good Morning Techbrute!
Thanks for the kind words! I enjoy writing for SWAT. The editor and publisher are two top notch guys!

The Aimpoint- like all red dots- are meant to be used with both eyes open. This obviously permits faster target acquisition.
Consider the Aimpoint tube to be similar to a larger (ghost ring type) aperture rear sight. On the receiver (i too place mine about where you do- at about the address T10) you will be looking through the sight- the tube itself will be indistinct.
If you throw it waaaay up front, you are now looking through a tunnel.
Consider that you won't see an aperture rear sight mounted on the forend- there is a similiar reason for that.

For the mil side, the 12 0'clock position on the forend is reserved for the AN/PEQ-2A (or other Laser aiming sight/ IR illuminator). Mounting it too far forweard will interfere with that.
Some claim that they mount it up front to clear an AN/PVS-14 mounted on the rear of the receiver as an ad hoc NVS in tandem with the Aimpoint.
If you have a Larue Aimpoint mount and Larue PVS-14 mount, you can mount the PVS-14 behind the Aimpoint on T10, the 14 behind it, and BUIS will not interfere (fold down BUIS anyway).
And, as you point out, that weight up front slows you down as you try to mount the carbine.

Trendy is the right word. The greater majority of gun owners are not shooters. They may physically possess a firearm, but for a great number of reasons do not/ cannot shoot them often.
Very few have any training, and a lot of what they may do is the result of internet chatter or polls (Yikes!).
There is no doubt that you need to make things work for you. Individual size, strength, attitude etc will cause things to be different for each.
I see a bunch of people come through with some very strange configurations.
I'll point out the pro/ con of things, and eventually most will come back to a more reasonable mounting solution.
Hope this helps!

Off topic, but i drove through Dallas last night.

Pat sends
www.eagtactical.com
Pat Rogers is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.02228 seconds with 8 queries