View Single Post
Old May 30, 2018, 04:33 AM   #27
Jazzgun

Quote:
I will likely catch a world of flak for this, but .........
You're not the only one who thinks like you do so I wouldn't worry about it.

Quote:
Some of these folks I call "collectors". They've been to Gunsite, Thunder Ranch, and local classes as well. Their pedigree looks pretty good. But good papers does not mean a dog will hunt.
I agree with this to a point but on the other hand I think the better armed you are mentally (I mean training and lessons) the better you will be physically. The mind controls it all. It's like anything else. Golf, tennis, skiing, horseshoes, tiddlywinks, darts.....etc. The more you practice the better you get. The more you learn from experts the better you get. I think that people want to share their experiences in training and courses they take and that's wonderful. I love to share that I learned to shoot as a small girl on a ranch. We would shoot at bottles on the fence posts. Then I moved up to lizards and birds. I never wanted to shoot anything else. And I quit enjoying killing the lizards and birds too. But I learned a lot about guns at a young age. I've experienced tragedy as well..... the loss of a friend who died playing Russian roulette at age 14.

I think training is a wonderful thing and I am very happy for those who can afford it and have the inclination to want to improve to the max.

Quote:
Owning a firearm does not insure proper use and safety. But a lack of formal training pedigree does not imply incompetence either.
LOL. I know what you are saying here but I think there's got to be a happy medium in their somewhere. Training courses are a good thing. Certainly not mandatory, but no one can honestly say they don't have the potential to make you better. I know, as an example, that I personally am not nearly as competent as I could be if I were to take more training courses.

Page generated in 0.02171 seconds with 8 queries