View Single Post
Old November 30, 2022, 11:08 PM   #57
Shadow9mm

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild cat mccane View Post
Great read on why flat point meplat only matters on large caliber rifle rounds at 500gr and only a rifle level velocity which even the hottest 380 isn't even at half at.
http://www.gsgroup.co.za/articlepvdw.html

Then, even if meplat mattered in small calibers, which they appear not to, too much of that flatness decreases penetration. This makes sense. Drag either through increased resistance by shape or (strangely, speed) kills penetration. It's why a super hot Gold Dot might not actually be as good as a factory loaded Gold Dot. Drag increases faster than velocity. Cross sectional size increases drag. Drag can't be assumed to be positive or doing anything "better."

https://www.africahunting.com/thread...l-facts.57387/

If you still like it though, white box flat point 380 is certainly cheaper than a special one off by BB.

I don't disagree with someone choosing FMJ for their feeding issues, but JHP for 380 out of an LCP is reaching 9mm JHP performance and no one is advocating for using FMJ instead of JHP in 9mm.
My friend had hunting experience with wide flat meplates related to hunting. Mainly using 44spl loads in a rifle at around 1300fps. Cuts an inch and a half diameter hole in one side and out the other of a deer. We also tested these loads against 240g xtp bullets in ballistics gel. While the hollow point provided a larger initial cavity it tapered off. While the wide flat nose punched a wide cavity, larger in total size in one side and out the other.

I have also tested in 9mm, 124g gold dots and hst vs an odd 70g federal frangible flat point at 1500fps(i chronoed it) in gel. The 70g held together and created a wicked cavity.

I have also done some testing with 38spl and 357 mag with wide flat nose bullets. What i found is that they seemed to excell in 357 mag, but under perform in the 38spl. It was somewhere around the 1200fps range. Still more tested to do, its on one of my project lists somewhere.

Based on my friends experience, and my testing i believe wide flat meplates, even in smaller diameter projectiles of the .355 petsussion, in the low supersonic range, punch far above what they should in performance.

Page generated in 0.02842 seconds with 8 queries