View Single Post
Old December 30, 2005, 10:26 PM   #44
Steve499

If I remember right, Tinker 2, I was loading 2.5 grains of unique. The styrofoam I used was the flat trays that you find in the grocery store with meat, vegetables or mushrooms in them and covered with clear plastic wrap. You would think they would melt when they are subjected to the flame of the powder charge going off but they won't. I used them in a 45-70 also. You would find the wads out in front of the bench with one side just a little stippled and the other side like it was when it was loaded. I started using a wad in those small charges after I read about the potential of detonation when a small amount of powder is spread along the bottom of the case and the primer lights it all at once instead of it burning from rear to front progressively. It may have been an unnecessary precaution, I don't know, but it might be easier and maybe a little tidier in the basement than the filler in the cases.
For fun, you can prime a case, cut the case through a tray so there is a barrier in front of the primer, then push the case through a slice of raw potato about 5/8 of an inch thick. At 10 or 15 feet it shoots pretty good and won't hurt anything it hits, it just splatters. I haven't done that in years but had a good time with it long ago. Great for fast draw practice.

Steve

Page generated in 0.02455 seconds with 8 queries