View Single Post
Old November 5, 2008, 12:55 PM   #13
BigJimP

Aw comeon guys, I can't maintain this petite figure without going upstairs to the kitchen once in a while ... I only keep 4 or 5 cases of reloaded shells for 12ga, and 4 or 5 cases of 20ga, and .....28ga and .... .410 ( my shotshell loaders only do 20 - 25 boxes an hour Bob, and its tiring operating that foot pedal on those hydraulic machines ....). But I'm not just a shotshell guy, I'm reading a great book on 1911's right now - and I just reread the secton on shooting revolvers in Brian Enos's book on Practical Shooting, Beyond the Fundamentals .... ( I know you memorized both of those books, ....but some of us need a refresher....).

Olddrum1 ....
2 3/4 inch plastic shells - everything I load is low brass - but Remington STS or Rem Nitro hulls are just a few thousandths longer than WIN AA's. Both Rem STS and Win AA's have loads for 1 1/2 oz - using Hodgdon Longshot - and using a special Win or Rem wads. I don't personally load anything more than 1 1/8 oz loads ( even for hunting birds ). There are 1 1/8 oz loads in the books using Rem STS hulls with velocities anywhere from 1090 fps - all the way up to 1585 fps using Hodgdon Longshot....but I keep most everything I load around 1225 fps / a few up around 1300 fps.

Olddrum1 - what are you trying to do with a shell - if you give me some idea of what you intend to use it for, maybe I can give you a better recommendation. I'm assuming you want more shot ( capacity ) but sometimes more shot, doesn't perform better either. There are experts that say a 1 oz load at 1225 fps - patterns better than 1 1/8 oz at 1300 fps..

Page generated in 0.02622 seconds with 8 queries