View Single Post
Old August 5, 2014, 06:24 PM   #22
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. X
There is a PTSD screen for most visits because the VA very much wants to identify vets who may be interested in help and the stigma is somewhat lessening and a solid 20+ vets I know finally - just - went to start seeing groups etc. It is usually done by nursing at the onset of the visit. Same with depression. Those results are not explicitly recorded by your physician unless they want to.
You are correct about there being PTSD screens for most visits. I started to be aware of them about two years ago. However, I strongly STRONGLY disagree with your assessment that "the stigma is lessening." The VA health care system doesn't have enough money to fulfill its obligations. The .gov is willing to throw money at the VA to treat PTSD, so the result is that the VA is trying it's hardest to classify as many people as possible as having PTSD.

The problem with that is that those people may get some help with their PTSD, but they also get reported to the .gov and classified as people who can't possess firearms. And once you get stuck in the pigeonhole it's almost impossible to get reclassified as "safe." They tell the vets that "the stigma is lessening" in order to convince more people to sign on for PTSD therapy, but they don't tell those people they may be giving up their constitutional RKBA for the remainder of their lives by so doing.

Catch 22.

Page generated in 0.03650 seconds with 8 queries