View Single Post
Old December 7, 2016, 02:24 PM   #56
Spikie

6.5 to stand the test

JackStrawIII - My money (literally) is on the 6.5x55.

First, as far as standing the test of time, this was developed in 1894 - it's been around for what now... 112 years?

The round HAS stood the test of time. The creedmore is 9 years old... an infant cartridge, developed from the 300 Savage and the 30 TC by Hornady.

I've no problem with the creedmore but it is a very high intensity cartridge, running in the area of 60-62000 psi. The 6.5x55 is a handloader's delight, having enough capacity to propel a 120-140 anywhere from 2700 to @3000 fps at reasonable pressures (@55-58K) per the information I have seen. In the Tikka rifle, this will put shot after shot into a very small geographical area with minimal recoil and muzzle blast. Likely do the same in the Beretta rifles. Don't know about the other makes b/c I don't shoot them.

My Tikka T3 will consistently group CHEAP PPU ammunition in 1" at 100 yards with my limited skills and a 3x9 Vortex scope. The Nosler ammunition will do as well, plus a bit, and do it at a somewhat higher velocity (around 2700 fps average out of my rifle) than the PPU. I haven't tried my first attempts at reloads using 120 and 140 grain Sierras yet, as my range shut down for maintenance for the next four months. I expect the Sierras will do substantially better.

I've shot Nosler BT 120's from my earlier M1896 Swedish RIFLE (not a carbine) that I've reloaded and gotten astounding accuracy from them - i.e. groups measuring less than 0.850" c/c at 200 yards... I expect the Tikka will be as good.

I know the thing that most people want is the newest and the greatest and the fastest. If you want fast, bite the bullet and buy a .26 Nosler in their proprietary rifle and enjoy. That is one astounding cartridge. But if speed isn't quite that important but still more desired than the 6.5x55 would give, consider the 6.5x55 AI - It adds another 100-200 fps over the standard and won't stretch brass much if any. I really wouldn't go with anything else.

BTW, if 6.5x55 is your choice, I would use Nosler or PPU brass exclusively - it is good brass and fits the chamber properly. The Swede has a nominal 0.4805 max chamber and a properly chambered rifle will have a chamber slightly larger (another 1/2 thou or so). Some domestic ammunition will not handle that difference well (measure the head of a sample round - should be about 0.478" or so. If it's around .473, it's likely to swell the case head a lot when fired. Looks ugly and doesn't do anything for the life of the brass.

Page generated in 0.04248 seconds with 8 queries