View Single Post
Old August 11, 2017, 09:54 PM   #21
ColoradoMinuteMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
Please pardon the tangent.

All of the systems discussed in this thread use a small solid metal bolt and narrow spring that operate entirely within the footprint of a 5.56 AR bolt.

Why?

Everyone with an AR already has a big durable spring that fits his receiver extension. Couldn't a piece of delrin or aluminium rod about as long as a real AR bolt be machined to operate against a real AR spring and be given a steel face or insert for durability?

I'd suggest that it's a matter of physics. While a .22LR blowback may have enough energy to push the buffer weight and spring tension far enough for the short cycle of a .22LR through an action designed as you speak, it likely wouldn't be ideal. There are several spring and buffer combinations that would create unknown factors in both required energy to cycle as well as timing of the action. Not to mention the action needs to be tested against many different ammunition and magazine combinations to begin with. Additional factors of spring and buffer add exponentially many more combinations to test every time you make an iteration. A single vendor designing their own self contained action gives more control to that vendor, with simplified testing and a greater chance of success.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)

Last edited by ColoradoMinuteMan; August 12, 2017 at 10:23 AM.

Page generated in 0.03384 seconds with 8 queries