View Single Post
Old December 20, 2009, 10:29 AM   #7
shortwave

Early Production Auto-5 shotguns chambered in 2 9/16" were produced from 1903-1939 and should be inspected by gunsmith prior to firing.

If you`ve confirmed yours was mfg`ed in 54-5 it will be considered a Mid Production Auto-5--FN and is chambered in 2 3/4". These were produced from 1952-1976. Yours should have the 'round knob' pistol grip and a black buttplate thats marked "Browning Automatic" with "FN" in a center oval.

Quote:
Or could it be that the gun just needs a good cleaning
Short answer- YES.
After barrel removal, find the two small holes(gas ports) located on bottom side of barrel. They`ll be drilled into the barrel just inside of the steel mounting ring thats welded to barrel that slides over receiver. MAKE SURE THOSE HOLES ARE OPEN. I use Hoppe`s #9 with pipe cleaners for mine. Get`em good and clean.

Also it would be advisable to replace the rubber o-ring thats located on the tube by the friction ring. Don`t know o-ring dimension`s on the 16 ga. but I`m sure someone here will know. Get the RIGHT size. O-rings can be bought at any hydraulic parts store and some hardware,auto parts store.

These are the two areas most prone to needing attention when you have cycling problems given the rest of your 'hardparts' are not damaged.

Do a search on this forum for a parts breakdown for your shotgun. I`m sure there`s one on here or a link that would be helpful.

If you don`t know how your 'old ammo' was stored. Buy new namebrand ammo.

Finally, Welcome to TFL. Glad to have you. Post pic. of whole gun. We love looking at them.

Last edited by shortwave; December 20, 2009 at 10:35 AM.

Page generated in 0.03844 seconds with 8 queries