View Single Post
Old February 17, 2017, 09:08 AM   #53
DMK

Quote:
I wasn't meaning to sound like a 'nay-sayer'.
I've only seen one Mare's Leg being fired and because of the club rules it was said to be a center-fire rifle and had to be shot from a sitting position at a bench.
I think you asked a reasonable question. It's much better to ask than assume.

Quote:
The AR pistol I saw fired was held very close to the face of the firer. Both seemed awkward.
I had a Mauser C96 and I was thinking the hold for that pistol would be the hold used on a pistol caliber AR pistol. You know Weaver or Isosceles?
You definitely do not want to shoot one of these with your arms out front like a traditional handgun. It's too large and heavy for that and you'll never get it stable enough for any kind of accuracy. It would be no better than shooting a rifle or carbine from the hip.

Have you ever shot an AR15 rifle or carbine? (not trying to be insulting, just asking) You shoot the AR pistol same as the AR rifle/carbine.

You want a good cheek weld and your nose touching the charging handle. So yes, you do hold it close to your face. You use the buffer tube to your advantage. This is why on AR pistols, you usually see a pad on the buffer tube.

The only difference is you don't touch your shoulder. So you use a sling as the 4th point of contact. Instead of pushing a rifle stock back into your shoulder, you pull the AR pistol away with your support hand and use sling tension around your back to provide that extra stability.

It's not difficult, but it is a unique technique that a lot of people just don't know or understand. You won't win any Camp Perry matches, but from a standing, sitting or kneeling field position, I'd go up against a guy with a similarly equipped carbine out to 100y maybe even 200y.

Last edited by DMK; February 17, 2017 at 09:25 AM.

Page generated in 0.02455 seconds with 8 queries