View Single Post
Old January 25, 2014, 12:48 AM   #26
5whiskey

Quote:
5 whiskey, what commercially available .30-06 rifle will shoot sub MOA at long range, i.e., 600 to 1000 yards? By sub MOA, I mean at the worst, not just an average number.
Bart, I had a Savage 110 that I paid 330 bucks for that would chuck -06 rounds into 2 inch AVERAGE groups at 300 yards. I'm not saying there was never a group over 3 inches (though I honestly don't remember one), thus killing the sub-moa "perfection," but that was not the norm. If someone wants to "get into shooting" at 500 to 1000 yards, I think an average of slightly under 1 moa is adequate for them to cut their teeth on. Hence, why I suggested that the OP not sweat the caliber so hard. I take it he's not previously been into long range or bench shooting, and is not currently competing. If that is the case, I think he would do better saving $200 bucks and having the rifle in -06 and applying that money to practice rounds downrange. Not everyone that posts here is a bench shooter, or even someone currently capable of doing their part if handed a sub-moa rifle.

I think there are other factors that the OP should weigh that might be way more important than the inherent accuracy of the round... to include rifle weight if he's going to be hunting with it in the highlands, rifle length if he's trudging through heavy brush, length of bolt pull, his ability to handle recoil, and a plethora of other things. .308 wins in most of those categories, which is why I would suggest that if price wasn't an issue. If price is an issue, and he hasn't pulled the trigger very often in the past, then honestly I think he would do better with whatever he can put the most rounds downrange with for the least amount of money (that is still a "competent" rifle).

Last edited by 5whiskey; January 25, 2014 at 01:16 AM.

Page generated in 0.04715 seconds with 8 queries