View Single Post
Old March 6, 2009, 03:05 AM   #4
Shrubmaster M4A3

I have a Savage in 30-06 and the older version of your rifle (the Remington 710) in 7mm Rem Mag. I am happy with both rifles for my needs. Both are very accurate (although the Savage is a bit more accurate than the Remington), both are reliable enough for casual shooting/hunting, and they both fell into the price range that I was willing to spend on a bolt gun at the time when I picked them up.

I always hear about the re-barreling issue with the Remington 710/770 models but for me it's a non-issue. I simply have no reason to think that I will ever put enough rounds through my bolt actions to ever need to re-barrel them. I have AR's and such for high volume shooting, and with ammo costs being what they are... I make all my rounds count with those too.

Basically... The 710/770 may not fit the bill for the guy who is serious about his bolt guns. But, for a guy like myself who might run a box of factory fodder through each of them in a year and possibly send a single deer per season to the processing plant, they work just fine.

My biggest complaint with my 710 is that the action on it is noticably rougher to cycle than that on my Savage. For my purposes though it simply makes no difference. On the range, I take my time. In the field... One shot gets the job done. It all comes down to what your intended use is. From reading your original post, I'd say the 770 should serve you well.

Page generated in 0.03829 seconds with 8 queries