View Single Post
Old June 25, 2017, 09:56 AM   #37
buck460XVR

IMHO, hydrostatic shock does happen at higher velocities and more so with expanding bullets. Expanding bullets not only make a bigger hole, but disperse their energy while expanding and that energy is dispersed into the tissue. If one butchers their own game, hydrostatic shock is readily apparent anytime bone, and/or heavy muscle is hit. It can make a real mess of the tissue surrounding the wound channel and sometimes damage is massive. But it's something that IMHO, cannot be counted on to increase the odds of a killing shot when the hit is marginal or bad to start with. While it makes a mess of tissue and can lead to more blood loss, most of the time the damage is done to heavy muscle and not vitals. There are times when I have double lunged a deer with a good 180 gr JSP outta my old ought-six and the lungs were nuttin' but mush. Still those deer ran just as far or farther than those deer I double lunged with a bow and only had a clean X cut thru both lobes. It does tho, generally increase the amount of blood lost outside the body and thus make bloodtrailing easier, and in doing so may make recovery of marginally hit deer a higher probability.

Page generated in 0.02341 seconds with 8 queries