View Single Post
Old October 5, 2022, 06:59 AM   #13
stagpanther

I have an 80 watt CO2 laser and have done some very detailed laser engraving on softer materials like wood--it's really a matter of the focal capabilities of the lenses and laser head, the power of the machine and the ability to "translate" the dpi of the image into precise machine language that moves the head. Metal is another matter altogether--but I have seen some reproductions of printing plates that I could not tell the difference between the reproduction plate and the original hand-carved one in the prints done from them (I'm a printmaker). Somebody out there can probably do what you want--but I would be very specific about requesting qualifications, experience with firearms and show examples. Every piece of wood is different in how it reacts to burning (that's what lasers do--burn, not really engraving in the classic sense) so I always need to test a sample before doing a job--but a firearm could be a only one try proposition. There are also some outfits that use CO2 lasers to chemically burn into a chroma into certain metals like aluminum and I have read it's been done on steel as well--for example aluminum tumblers with logos etc are very popular items in the home-maker industry. I wouldn't do it on a firearm except as a cheap identifier like caliber or manufacturer.

Last edited by stagpanther; October 5, 2022 at 07:14 AM.

Page generated in 0.03583 seconds with 8 queries