View Single Post
Old July 22, 2022, 11:08 PM   #50
HiBC

Its all good. Do what makes YOU happy. One thing you can count on,I do not pick my hunting clothes by what someone else thinks of them.

There seems to be some disdain for the folks who buy the fancy gear.

Well....I don't have a horse or 4 wheeler and I go where a pickup won't go. OK,I'm fibbing a bit. I'm old for that now. Lets go back a few years. I'd travel by boots. I'd stay out for the week of hunting season between 8000 and 10,000 feet in Northern Colorado. Backpack,tent,down bag. White gas stove,

In whatever weather happened.

So,yes!! I'd have an outer shell camo gore tex parka,the quiet stuff from Cabelas. It works GREAT! Underarmor base layers and polypro? Depending on the year,I may have fleece vest or jacket,or puffy down . Depends. And I've used a GI field jacket or Arctic parka liner,. Its like ponhco liner material. You bet!! Cheap,light,and it does not get soggy.
My weird thing? The heavy wool German army battle pants. I cut them off just below the knees and added suspender buttons. Shorts!! But no weight below my knees.And they don't cake up snow. Under the shorts,but over my long johns,I wear black nylon track pants. Light,windproof,breathable fast drying,and they shed snow, I don't like wearing gaiters,but I might have some on me. A good wool or fleece cap or balclava. Figure you will wear it sleeping.

I like the wool fingerless gloves with rubber polka dots for grip. If I need them,I can put the Hot Hands handwarmer tea bags in the palms, I have GI arctic mittens I can wear over those.

I;m not real big on insulated boots, but I had some 200 gr Danner Pronghorns big enough for double merino wool sox. I don't like heavy ,clunky boots. They are hard on my knees.
A square of 1/4 in closed cell keeps the butt warm and dry. A wet butt is a problem.

Your hands,lips,etc will crack. A tin of Nivea is good. Carmex or chap stick. Sunglasses,

And you will need to hydrate.

I don't do technical mountaineering but the setting and the weather is similar.
Or,it can be sunny and 60's. The weather will be what it is. I've walked in on dry pine needles ,had all night snow squall,crashing thunder and snapping lightning and woke up to thigh high snow,opening morning.

I don't doubt y'all are using what works just fine where you are. Enjoy!!

My version of low buck unguided high country hunting requires something other than a hoody and wranglers. An InReach might be worth looking into.

Oh,you know when you get bad weather and the football game says "Signal Lost" Yeah. That happens with GPS signals,too. Along with white out. Can't see 50 yards. And,track and trails disappear with the snow. Nav skills are good.

Page generated in 0.03463 seconds with 8 queries