View Single Post
Old December 14, 2017, 07:42 PM   #3
gwpercle

Sweet ! Looks Nice freckles and all.

I had a model 58 S&W that had bad case of freckling like yours, I thought it was hopeless. The back strap was freckled the worst, cylinder , frame and barrel all had the freckles .
Spotting a can of Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and Rust Remover in the garage , the "rust remover " part motivated me to try it on the 58's freckled finish.
It worked....it's not a "perfect finish" but the stuff removed all the freckles without removing the bluing that was left. It has a very mild fine polishing compound in it, slowly working over a small area with a cloth pad, follow the directions, when removing rust the pad turns reddish brown, when the rust is removed the pad comes grey, move on to another area. I went over all the areas twice before removing all the rust.
Large rust spots / pits will still be there but the brown rust will be removed. The back strap came out a dark gray color, not the factory blue but no freckles . It took the most elbow grease to get cleaned. A cleaning and wax job completed the job...looked good enough for a shooter to me !
Those NOE's look wicked...can we say "mega hollow point"!
Al makes some nice moulds.
Gary

Page generated in 0.03058 seconds with 8 queries