View Single Post
Old June 3, 2022, 08:02 PM   #152
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
O am going to bring up a side note about factory vs handloaded. In the past three years, I have had multiple factory load failures. I had Winchester .25-06 that 4 out of 20 never went boom in any of my 3 rifles. Had 350 legend ammo with multiple primers in backwards. Had 30-30 split a case neck. Watched a Glock 22 get the barrel bulged shut. All that was factory ammo. In the same time, I have had zero handloads failures. (Except in a Taurus G3 that has an undersized chamber, but that don't count)
In the first 1000 round handgun reliability match I attended, reloads did extremely poorly--worse even than the steel-cased Wolf ammo which was worse than any of the brass or aluminum-cased ammo.

It was so bad, in fact, that reloads were not allowed in the second match the following year because when they were used it was way more about the ammunition than it was about the gun--and it was supposed to be all about the guns.

Of course, the quality of ammunition varies, whether it's factory or handloaded.

I think that's something that can get lost sometimes. People tend to form opinions about the reliability of factory ammunition based on the lowest price ammo they can find to shoot at the range and then carry those opinions over to premium self-defense ammo that can cost 10 times the price and generally comes with commensurately better stringent quality control and better quality components.

Anyway, if I were going to list the #1 reason I wouldn't carry handloads for self-defense, it would be what I've personally witnessed in terms of the generally lower reliability of handloads compared to factory self-defense ammo. That said, I'm sure everyone in this thread who handloads makes ammo that is much more reliable than factory and so my observations shouldn't be taken to apply to their ammo.

Page generated in 0.03945 seconds with 8 queries