View Single Post
Old September 5, 2013, 10:51 AM   #6
Louca

Thanks guys. Yes, these are cases that have been fully re-sized and de-primed.

OK, here is the longer story that I shortened! :-)

There have been absolutely NO problems with these cases in my 1911 EVER. No FTEs and especially no FTF problems of not going into battery. So everything is good there. But now I am introducing two new things: some new jacketed bullets I have never loaded (shoot LSWC normally), and I now also have an HK 45C. So, just to say I did it, I took the barrel out of the HK and tested some of these new rounds in the chamber to see if it gave me that "plunk". Almost ALL the rounds did not plunk and the bullets were hitting the "rifling" (HKs do not have a rifled barrel). Even though the bullets were hitting the rifling, the case base did not ever extend beyond the barrel tang. I did not test it in the 1911, but I suspect I would have found the same thing.

I loaded for the OAL mentioned in the reloading manual for the bullets. But the manual assumes the brass is 0.898 long. With shorter brass, the bullet sticks out farther since OAL does not consider case length at all. I suppose manuals for the .45 ACP should state the length from case mouth to bullet tip, but that could not be easily measured.

Having said all that, I am really not worried these rounds will not go into battery on either pistol. I think they will do OK. But it got me to wondering why the cases were shorter.

Lou

Page generated in 0.03452 seconds with 8 queries