View Single Post
Old August 21, 2006, 01:15 PM   #26
Oregongundude

There are fewer salmon in the ocean.

I believe the Seals are following the salmon up the Columbia river here in Oregon because there are fewer and fewer salmon for them to eat in the oceans. My main concern is that Killer whales, and great white sharks feed on the seals are they going to chase the seals up the rivers as well. I don't think sharks can survive in fresh water very long, and that's a good thing. Killer whales are mammals, like seals and can survive in fresh water, can't imagine fishing in the Columbia river and having a Killer Whale swimming by me when i'm fishing over 100 miles up river away from the ocean. Now, that would be a real surprise.

In some ways I'm beginning to think that the only real fish remaining in the Ocean are being produce in fish hatcheries and that why the seal/sea lions are chasing them up stream.

Hopefully Mother nature can do her balancing act because we sure are blowing it when it's in are hands.

Here's a link that talked about the problem in more detail.

http://www.localfishermannews.com/news_releases/anglers_sea_lion_problems_04.pdf#search='seals%20in%20the%20columbia%20river'

Page generated in 0.03255 seconds with 8 queries