View Single Post
Old February 11, 2015, 03:57 PM   #13
TimSr

I am a 53 year old who is in the same boat, except I can't see well near or far. I share the OP's problem of not being able to see the sights in dim light. Most people who start losing sight with age, tend to lose their ability to see color in low light. With everything viewed in shades of gray, you lose your ability to see anything well without total black or total white contrast. Even hunter orange appears as a shade of gray in dim light. The orange insert on my front sight is useless to me in dim light. When a person's sight declines with age, they first notice as it becomes difficult to see driving at night, while daytime driving is not a problem. I'd go out on opening day of deer seaon, and wait until legal shooting hours, and realized that I still could not see my sights until a half hour later.

A laser would certainly help with aim, as most of us can still see the silouette of target just fine. I've also found those big 3 white dot sights where you line up the white dots (one on the front sight between the two on the rear) are fairly visible to me in dim light.

The most practical solution for me though, was to practice after dark, without being able to use the sights. I can't imagine being in many defense situations where I would have the time to carefully sight, and squeeze the trigger. In typical distances within most homes, I would think learning to point and shoot would be far more effective. I am confident I could shoot across my largest room, and hit center mass without using sights.

Page generated in 0.02757 seconds with 8 queries