View Single Post
Old August 9, 2013, 03:29 PM   #21
bamaranger

.243 and scope

I've become a .243 fan in the past few years, primarily because I started killing deer w/ one, and so has bamaboy. They are easy rifles to shoot well, due to low recoil and their inherent accuracy. The few I have worked with have all been accurate with factory ammo or handloads w/o any special search or fuss. My older carbine does especially like 100 gr Noslers but still delivers about 1.5 MOA. The full size bolt rifle shoots about anything we feed it well.

My Dad was never a great shot due to cross dominance primarily, but also a flinch habit. In his later years, he shot better, primarily because hew switched to the .243 anbd it did not beat him up.

I think the great all arounder in sport scopes is still the 3-9x variable, and I am a big fan of Leupold. A Vari-II, or whatever they call their second level scopes these days, is fine investment and will not break the bank. And I know several guys who hunt the entry level VX-I scopes and are not unhappy. For portability, I'd not go larger than a 40mm bell.

If you want to really simplify, I would go on to suggest a fixed 6x Leupold. As long as you do not intend to hunt really small varmints at long range, and stick to deer and hogs, a fixed 6 offers fewer parts (less to go wrong?) and enough x power for reasonable long range and bench tests at 100, and not to much in the woods. The 6x helps you find holes in the brush and count points that a lower powered scope will not. I try not to shoot at running game, but a 6x at all but rock throwing distance does not seem to be a hindrance. Look at the 42mm version if you will hunt alot from shooting houses in low light, as it might help brighten things a bit. The 36mm version works just fine for me as an all arounder.

Good luck w/ youir new rig.

Page generated in 0.02914 seconds with 8 queries