View Single Post
Old June 27, 2011, 03:52 PM   #3
Evan Thomas

I see only two options here. Either a sale goes through an FFL, in which case the transfer paperwork is required, or it involves two private parties, in which case, no paperwork, but they need to reside in the same state.

I suppose a licensed dealer can, as it were, take off his FFL "hat" when selling a gun from his private collection -- in which case, he'd be subject to the same rules as any other private seller. I can't see how the fact that he's an FFL would exempt him from those rules. But in this case, he doesn't reside in your state.

Quote:
1) As between two private sellers who reside in different states, an FFL must be used.
2) As between an FFL and a private buyer, the buyer must reside in the same state as the FFL.

Where it gets unclear is this: Is transfer paperwork required from an out-of-state FFL, physically present in Arkansas & selling out of his or her private collection?
Physical presence isn't the same as residency, so... yes, transfer paperwork would be required, just as it would if I, a non-FFL, came to AR to sell you a rifle. The fact that I'm physically in the state doesn't magically make me a resident; we'd need to use an FFL to do the transfer.

Quote:
My gut reaction is: if the sale crosses state lines, transfer through an FFL is in order.
Trust your gut...

Page generated in 0.02948 seconds with 8 queries