Thread: Revolver Prices
View Single Post
Old May 28, 2013, 04:50 PM   #15
RsqVet

I think you did reasonable with your purchases, and in a few years if you take care of them you will make a few bucks or not lose any money depending on how you sell. Always a good thing.

In general I think for revolvers, especially S+W types that are more in demand prices are getting less and less reasonable. MSRP on the lock / MIM infested guns are high enough that the older guns, esp. in new to like new condition can gather buyers who are paying at or above new gun retail for many of the older guns.

To some degree I understand this as I'd gladly pay MSRP for NIB non-MIM gun rather than take the current offering, however it would truly have to be for a new in box gun. What I see on Gun Broker are some truly nice safe queen guns that probably really are NIB and priced high,i.e. well over currnet MSRP.

What I see locally are many guns claiming to be NIB but which really are not, are marriages of gun to box, or over priced shooter guns lacking boxes etc. It is really hard to find a revolver that I consider a reasonable deal locally and I would say out of 100 guns I look at there are maybe 2-3 that are in the ball park of what they should be priced at. Recent memories that have made me laugh are a beat up 66 snub for 650 dollars... a 696 with nothing other than 4 "ports" drilled in the barrel (looked like a drill press was used) for 950 or a 28 highly over polished and re-blued for 850.

I really don't know if the folks who have these guns (some are shops) simply figure start high and bargain or if they simply don't get it or if there really are so many people who don't know the diff so they sell eventually at the higher numbers. It is starting to remind me of the python market.... everyone automatically thinks a python is a 2k+ gun even if the just dredged it out of the ditch. Given that the guns most people want simply are not made any more it will likely just keep getting worse.

That being said there are still decent deals out there and in the past 3 months I have been lucky to score a 63, 696 and 625-4 all without box but otherwise excellent shape at great prices.

Page generated in 0.03704 seconds with 8 queries