View Single Post
Old February 21, 2006, 06:34 PM   #10
DParker

First time poster here. Am getting my first CCW permit (I live in one of the few "easy" counties in CA) and have been lurking and learning a great deal. This thread reminds me of the only time I have ever needed to draw...and it certainly saved us from tragedy.

Was in the mid-eighties and my first wife and I had towed our sailboat down to Long Beach and were going to Catalina Island for a week. Had launched the boat and placed the truck/trailer in storage. Had a guest slip for the night at Long Beach municipal marina and were preparing for an early departure the next day.

We had noticed a Lucky Supermarket a couple of blocks from the marina and we walked over for some last minute groceries at about dusk. In retrospect, we were dressed as typical "boat types" and were clearly on vacation. We had been so focused on "boat stuff" that we had not really noticed how bad an area this was. I was carrying a little AMT .380 in my back waistband, as was my habit when traveling. It was covered by my windbreaker. I had no permit, but was young and cocky.

Came out of the market a bit after dark and started back to the boat. Quickly became aware of just how bad the area was. As we approached a bus stop just before a long dark bridge (going nowhere but to the marina) I noticed 5 young gang types lounging around watching us. When we were about 50 feet from them, two of the guys got up (without saying a word) and started over the bridge in front of us. We walked by the others and I just remembered trying not to make eye contact...I didn't want any trouble. We had only walked about 50 feet past them and the other 3 got up and started following us. My wife was jabbering on about something and seemed totally oblivious. Of course we were both carrying bags of groceries in both of our hands.

The bridge was deserted and mostly dark. I remember a street light at the top. The two guys ahead of us stopped and were leaning on the railing just on the downhill side. By this time I was really worried. I remember trying to remember how many rounds I had, but quickly realized a gunbattle would be a very poor option, and at the very least would ruin our long planned vacation.

I handed my wife the bags I was carrying and slowly drew the .380. I decided the best thing to do would be to discourage an attack by making sure they saw my gun. I held it up above my shoulder and slowly chambered a round. I made sure the bad guys could see what I was doing. I then placed the gun in my windbreaker pocket, pointed and ready to use.

The guys following us immediately spun on their heels and turned back and must have signaled the guys in front because they kept their hands and arms spread out on the railing and just eyeballed me as we walked by. I actually turned and walked backward as we passed them. They then headed back down the hill to join their buddies. We got back to the boat shaken and relieved...but very glad that I had that little AMT.

No doubt in my mind that we dodged a serious problem that night. I still have that little .380 and it will forever have a spot in my heart. I know that I have read of many problems with them, but mine feeds and fires flawlessly. However, my principal ccw is now a Kahr pm9.

Sorry for being so longwinded...but this thread really stirred up some memories.

Page generated in 0.03680 seconds with 8 queries