Thread: Crimping 30/30
View Single Post
Old September 25, 2000, 06:17 AM   #4
Big Bunny

G98 -I think it also depends on your dies' tolerances and the brass neck-thickness and the weight and velocity of your bullets too.
Using up to 150gn no crimp atall is required for my Winchester M94- but on thin 'Super' brass I have had 'telescoping' problems. [The case of the disappearing bullet!!]

Strangely at 75m ,no decrease in accuracy was noted, but the Winch I have does have a long leade and I was only shooting at a pig sized target.

Incidentally.....and controversially...Pointed Bullets CAN also be used in tube magazines - as long as there is a good big exposed lead tip on them. The shells actually zig-zag in the magazine, but to be really sure try wearing eye/ear and hand protection and try and use one of your lead tips to ignite a seated live primer in a case in a vice, using a tong/pincers and a hammer.

Yes - I was an unbeliever too...until I tried to do it and failed!They simply would not ignite with a such a "soft"blow.Try it and see yourselves....

I now for 5 years shoot very accurate 125rn Sierra 30/30 pointed lead tipped jacketed and RNose lead M1 carbine (in a 30/30) - in rapid-fire L/A target matches @ 2,250 FPS .Accuracy seems unaffected by the deformed tip up to 100m, which is the furthest we shoot with buckhorn open sights.

(B...U...T I would lay off the old 30cal FMJs though ...as that could cause a real chainfire KaBoom)

Page generated in 0.03004 seconds with 8 queries