View Single Post
Old May 3, 2018, 07:36 AM   #14
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brit View Post
The punch draw is a repetitive action, that culminates in a shot breaking at the exact time as the pistol ends its forward motion. The view of the sights being exactly on target, at the moment of ignition, is in effect a snapshot of the target.

Mostly followed by the second round fired (a double tap)
So in the case of iron sights, at that last "snapshot" moment, are you closing one eye and focusing on the front sight?

When I first began shooting, my tendency was to basically go through 50 rounds with one eye permanently closed and I never did much practice with transitioning from "full situational awareness" to "front sight focus" and back. I've become fairly good at it now, on the range and in training classes. But in the few force-on-force situations I tried, I could not for the life of me get one eye to close, and then focusing on that front sight just blurred the world to me and I wasn't even sure what I was aiming at! So I mainly tried to point shoot my plastic pellets. Pretty much everyone did the same, and beyond 15 feet or so, just about any good hit was attributable more to luck than aim.

One trainer I watched a lot was all about training yourself to get the gun on target instinctively (and through lots of repetition) with your focus shifting to the front sight as instantaneously as possible, only as long as necessary to take the shot. Apparently that's doable over a whole lot of practice. He also advocated the "press out" (which I think is what you're basically calling the "punch draw").

Part of my interest in the red dot is that the first time I actually got to use one, it was like "Holy crap, all that stuff kind of disappears and you just bring the gun into alignment and the bullet goes where the dot is." It was like my speed AND precision doubled at the same time (does that make me 4x better?) so long as I could find the dot And out at 60' (with careful aim) I could still hit 3" circles that weren't even visible to me anymore when focused on a front iron sight.

Page generated in 0.02333 seconds with 8 queries