View Single Post
Old June 7, 2013, 04:55 PM   #24
glh17

Some of the opposition is understandable to me anyway. I was raised around guns. I've had a gun of my own since I was 7 or 8. The first was 410 shotgun but I shot a 20 gauge of my dad's before that. I'm in my early 60s and I've had at least two pistols, two shotguns, and a rifle since I was in my early 20s.

My dad, his friends, my friends, members of our family all had guns. Everyone I knew had at least a shotgun but most had rifles as well. Few had pistols. My dad had a 22 pistol that I still shoot today. Nevertheless, none of these people that I knew ever owned a gun (or desired to own one as far as I know) that possessed the firepower as some of the guns today. Nor did they carry a gun either openly or concealed. Nor did I ever hear complaints about violations 2nd amendment rights cause they couldn't do these things.

The world has changed alot since the 50s, 60s, and 70s and gun control issues are a part of the adjustment to the change. Not all the anti-gun people are after our guns and against concealed carry. Personally, the few I know largely target high capacity mags and insufficient background checks on private sales. I know there are others that would like to go much further, but the "anti-gun" crowd I know pretty much all own guns and don't have what I would call a irrational or illogical position toward them.

I'd support the position on high capacity mags and definitely support better background checks on private sales but I don't know how to do these things in a way that prevents the bad guys from obtaining guns. There's tons of high capacity mags out there already and I see no way to police the background checks on private sales. Such laws would make lawbreakers out of some otherwise law abiding people and still not prevent the bad guys from obtaining guns.

Page generated in 0.03601 seconds with 8 queries