View Single Post
Old July 16, 2006, 03:56 PM   #56
Charles S

Quote:
To say that, once you draw, you must shoot, is locking yourself into a static mindset. Not only can that place you in a legal and moral dilemma, it can also reduce your ability to survive by reducing your ability to adapt.
I agree 100%. However, to say I draw with the intent of shooting (my personal belief) is quite different. I will not issue a verbal warning (I am not a police officer and I do not feel that I am obligated to the attacker in any way form or manner), my only obligation is the protection of myself and my family. If a situation escalates to the point I am drawing my gun, it is my intent to fire at the time I draw. However, I have drawn my gun twice in my life and have yet to fire in self defense. How can that be you ask? To answer your question, there mugger in question, upon seeing my gun elected to cease his current actions and flee the scene. I felt no need to restrain him, I did call 911 and wait 30 minutes for an officer to arrive, at that point in time I called back and left my name and number so I could be contacted and left (let that be a lesson to those who think the police can be there to protect you). The second instance an individual felt the need to break in my house. I entered the room and the individual (with a screwdriver in hand) was entering the house. I managed to get a clear sight picture and the individual in question elected to leave.

If the individual in question had not stopped the actions that prompted me to draw my gun. I would have shot. There is no question in my mind. In neither instance did I yell "freeze," "stop, I'll shoot," ect. I would have shot without warning (other than the fact that I was drawing my firearm), I had the mindset and the ability.

I hope I am never again faced with the need to utilize a gun for self defense, but make no mistake about it, I am prepared to utilize deadly force to protect myself and my family.

I do encourage all of you to take a defensive handgun course. I highly recommend LFI. Ayoob's book, In the Gravest Extreme, the afore mentioned book On Killing, The Street Smart Gun Book Farnham, and No Second Place Winner, Jordan are all good starting points.

Again, there is no substitute for quality training.

Capt Charlie, is correct: One must be flexible in their tactics, situations are fluid and you must change to match the situation. After five years in full contact martial arts, I have realized It never works out in real life like you had previously planned for it to.

Good luck

Charles

Page generated in 0.02950 seconds with 8 queries