View Single Post
Old December 31, 2008, 01:58 AM   #13
scorpion_tyr

If the DA's office has decided to prosecute you, they will make whatever weapon and ammo you used seem excessive. I second the notion to read the articles concerning the man who used the 10mm (Mr. Fisher). To reduce what the jury sees as excessive I'd say stick to the normal rounds for home defense. .380, 9mm, 10mm, .38, .357, .40, .44, .45, etc.

Using rifles for home defense is usually a bad idea because of over penetration. If that's all you have then by all means use it. It's been done sucessfully before. Shotguns on the other hand are great home defense weapons. Yes they're not good for moving around the house, but unless you have a darn good reason to clear the house yourself, just stay in your room, shotgun resting on bed, pointed at door, 911 on the line. Anyone who walks in the door is going to have a very bad day. Anything bigger than 12g will be easier for the jury to view as excessive.

If you can afford a weapon or two strictly for home defence then by all means get them. If all you have is your hunting rifle or something then use it. Another good thing about shotguns is that you can easily swap barrels. Use one for hunting and a good ol' 18 incher for HD.

If you have a good reason for owning a weapon that most people might see as excessive then you should be able to defend yourself in court with that reason. A good friend of mine uses a Desert Eagle .50 for his HD and his CCW. Why does he do it? Because he's 6'9''ish and on the other side of 300lbs. Even my hi-cap 1911 feels too small for his hands.

If you're like many of us and just an average Joe, stick to average weapons and ammo. Don't use the exotic stuff because they'll hammer you in court and most importantly it usually doesn't work. Unless you are LE, stay away from boxes marked "Law Enforcement Ammunition". No it's not illegal to buy or own it, but it'll look bad. Personally I go with Federal Hydra-shoks because the get the job done, and they say "Personal Defense" right on the box.

And if you use claymores, flamethrowers, anything chambered for a .50 BMG for home defense my not legal advise is to watch the movie Shooter and do what Mark Whalberg's character threatens to do at the beginning of the movie.

Jfrey123- that's not excessive if you're defending Kuwait, or any other country as far as that goes.

Page generated in 0.02676 seconds with 8 queries