View Single Post
Old September 23, 2007, 11:18 AM   #7
Jbar4Ranch

This was interesting...

4" w/700 grain bullet

I didn't chrono that one out of the four inch tube, but it clocks about 1200-1250 in my 8 3/8"er with a max, or near max, charge of H110, and is extremely accurate. That long, heavy bullet has to be driven to near max velocities to be accurate, and fifty yard accuracy will shrink from 24" keyholed groups to under 2" with only a half grain increase in the powder charge when you reach the stabilization threshold. A still pic from another shot with the 700 grainer clearly shows the hammer to be back upon recoil with the trigger forward and not depressed in a reflexive double action pull, but it was down on the empty chamber every time when the gun came back down out of recoil.

I cast boolits for about fifty different calibers from a supply of a few tons of free lead I acquired some years ago, primers are a couple cents apiece, gas checks are a couple cents apiece, and powder comes to maybe 15¢ per round, for a finished cost of about 20¢ a copy, discounting the price of brass. So, in my case, a box of twenty comes to four bucks or so.

SASS 47015

Page generated in 0.02638 seconds with 8 queries