Thread: 223rem agony
View Single Post
Old October 27, 2001, 04:54 PM   #5
uglygun

Being an AR15 shooter and being an AR15.com'r I've seen many a thread regarding Federal ammo and Federal brass, there are some suitability issues when it comes to reloading the stuff for use in an AR15. Something about the semiauto action design of the AR15 makes it pretty likely that eventually you'll have a runin with primers popping out of their pockets and into odd little places all over your trigger group or barrel extension. Bolt action shooters don't seem to have this problem quite so much, no wonder really because a bolt action feeding operation is less jarring on the round and the round is supported more.

Personally I have experienced many a headache with both factory Federal ammo and while trying to reload the brass, I've had primers that will back out of their pockets shortly after having seated the primer and while in a bolt rifle that won't be the death of the action in a semiauto rifle the action will likely spank you for trying to use such ammo with loose primers. Now I don't bother even trying to reload Fed. brass for my AR15s or my AR10, I'll likely use it lots for bolt actions I"m planning to buy in the future.

Strangely, other semiauto shooters haven't mentioned the problem so much so I think there is definitely something unique to the AR15 action that promotes these hijinks.

Page generated in 0.02316 seconds with 8 queries