View Single Post
Old June 2, 2014, 03:07 PM   #20
Slamfire

I like Clark’s response, very thoughtful.

The basic problem is that my group sizes vary from day to day, even within a string. Just this weekend, at 500 yards, I dropped five points in my first ten shots, and dropped three X’s in my last ten. Heck if I know why I shot a 100-7X last ten shots and only a 95 in the first ten. Same gun, same load, I guess only I was different.

I will develop target loads off the bench with ten shot groups are just about 1 MOA. Then I will shoot them in competition, but it takes a while before I really “trust” that load. I have had loads that should have shot well all the way back, and yet, first time I used them, not so good. No idea why, but I think it was me.

People shoot using 600 lb benches and fifty pounds of sand bags and think they are a great shot. Take away the bench and bags and they won’t do so well. It is a mind blower, I remember taking out my Higgins 30-06 out just after shooting a 100 yard reduced match. I had shot a HM (I think) score, and yet with that lightweight 30-06 and a hasty sling, I had trouble staying within the black from a sitting position. I had shot 1 ¼” groups off the bench: it was not the rifle’s fault. Even if it was a 4 MOA rifle, it would have shot within my hold.

I don’t know where to draw the line. I would hunt with my Marlin 336, it is capable of sub 3 MOA groups, but only with fine tuned handloads. Yet guys with factory ammo that groups within 4 MOA in these things regularly bring home vension with these rifles.

When is enough a enough? When I give up and decide that is all the gun will do, and go play with another toy.

Page generated in 0.02988 seconds with 8 queries