View Single Post
Old November 20, 2012, 10:06 PM   #4
MLeake

My rude reply?

Here is what you said:

Quote:
I took her to the shop where she handled, among others, FN FNX, Walther PPQ, Springfield XD, Glock 17/19, Beretta 92FS, and the PX4 Storm. She was convinced that the Storm had the best grip for her small hands
So my reply should have come as no surprise. If you found it rude, so be it. By your description, she handled at least six handguns, and liked the PX4 best. (Edit: If her hand size is such an issue, why did she end up handling all double-stack pistols?)

You say it's obvious that your P220 is too big for her hand. That may be true, but what are you basing that on? Can she not align the barrel with her arm, because she has to rotate the grip in order to achieve trigger reach? Can she not get her pad or distal joint onto the trigger? Or are you basing your conclusion on her shooting results?

If you can't test shoot guns before you buy, and in your area that means a drive to some other area, then you are stuck with what feels right to her. There are objective measures by which she can see if the gun fits properly, and by which you can help her evaluate that. Pax has a website, http://corneredcat.com that can help with that.

As far as dismissing "ugly" pistols, people do that all the time, even experienced shooters. (See: Glock; PPQ; LCR; etc) Should aesthetics matter? Not up to me. They do matter to some people. Those of us who find it kind of silly just have to learn to live with it, most of the time.

(My wife prefers stainless based on looks, not on function; yet she still manages to shoot her S&W 65 3" .357 pretty well.)

If you pressure her to go with a gun she doesn't like, the odds are you won't like the ultimate results. She will be more invested in something she selects; more likely to practice with it; more likely to learn how to maintain it.

So, whether you think it's "somewhat rude" or not, my advice remains to let her choice stand, unless you have an objective, validated reason why it should not. (This assumes that she'd let you influence her decision at this point, which I don't know to be true or not true.)

Edit: Hindsight is 20/20, but it might have been helpful if you'd helped her do some research, first, such as reading the section in Cornered Cat about factors in selecting a handgun, before going to the shop. Your friend might have had different criteria for her selection and handling process.

Page generated in 0.03451 seconds with 8 queries