View Single Post
Old December 2, 1999, 02:29 AM   #1
Cheapo

The question for y'all high-round count shooters of the .40 S&W is: Have I reached Nirvana with the load described below? Does anyone else have a load that consistently goes into groups SMALLER than 2.5 inches at 25, or SMALLER than 2 inches? The events described below will put the question into perspective.

I just ran a short test of three loads through a G22. This combo and the .40 in general have been most disappointing to me, accuracy-wise (and accuracy is equally dismal with the same ammo out of a bud's USP).

4- to 5-inch, 5-round sandbagged groups at 25 yards stinketh, in my opinion. I grew up among bullseye shooters, who yearned for and often attained 3-inch groups at 50 (yes, FIFTY) yards.

So, yesterday's tests show the reliably attainable almost-good-enough accuracy of 3-3/16 inch with Oregon Trail 155 RNSWCs over Power Pistol.

Then I try Winchester fairly cheap 180-gr FMJs. Wow! I get a vertically strung, 2-5/8 group that's only 1-1/4 wide.

So I pop off a few stray rounds of 180-gr handloads using WAP. These were cast by my dad and myself a few years ago, and we're running out. 1-7/8 inch! I have a previous test target here from original load development which was 2 inches even.

Though it's not the 1-inch group that was often attainable shooting .38 Special wimpy full wadcutter loads, this is something I can live with.

BTW, we tried W231 at first, and got erratic accuracy at every load level, and nasty case bulges--sharp-cornered imprints--when the loads were "major," so we quit that exercise right fast.

3-round groups don't count, either. The statistics people have proven they are always something like 1/3 smaller than the 5-round groups will run.

Page generated in 0.03350 seconds with 8 queries