View Single Post
Old May 8, 2005, 08:36 AM   #81
Charlie Golf

I didn't read through all the posts so I'm sorry if I repeat something. First of all, I'm sorry you had to experience something we all would rather avoid, thank goodness you are safe and you had the tools and training to do so.

You probably already have, but in case the thug tries to press either criminal or civil charges (expect it) be sure that your attorney is practiced in defending police and other defensive shooters.

You may also want to get in contact with your CHL Instructor as well as any "experts" in the field of defensive shoots such as a LEO Firearms Instructor, etc.

I believe some back issues of Handgun Magazine also have some very good articles (the ones I can think of were authored by Ayoob) about how good defense and bad defense can lead to good or bad outcomes in a criminal or civil trial while the shooter is trying to prove they are the victim and not the assailant.

Many things are referenced in the articles such as:

1. Why did you have the caliber of weapon you had?
Many of us carry weapons based on recommendations/similar to Law Enforcement. You were no different than a Law Abiding officer.

2. Why did you have a weapon at all?
The fact that you were attacked answers that question. You were no different than a Law Abiding officer.

3. Why did you have to fire X number of shots?
Just as Law Enforcement is trained to shoot until the threat is stopped...so were you. You were no different than a Law Abiding officer.

4. Why did you have X brand of ammunition?
Many of us load ammo based on recommendations/similar to Law Enforcement. You were no different than a Law Abiding officer.

5. Why did you have to have a gun that carried X number of rounds?
The fact that you only fired 3 of X number of rounds shows restraint on your part as well as only using enough force to stop the threat. It is also common practice for a LEO to have at least 1-2 more Hi-Cap magazines as well as more ammo/weapons in the patrol unit. You were no different than a Law Abiding officer.

And yes, take advantage of the counseling.......

Page generated in 0.02506 seconds with 8 queries