View Single Post
Old July 28, 2000, 06:46 PM   #11
a

I went through this quandary myself a few years back. I'm basically a handgunner and think that shotguns are overrated. My Glock 21 has a 13 round clip; my Remington 870 holds, I think, 8 rounds with the extension tube. I get faster follow up shots with the handgun, I get more shots, and frankly out beyond 25 yards I'd rather have the handgun. Anyway, I tested 00 vs. #1 out in the desert. The #1 pattern expands very rapidly. If I recall, it was my conclusion that out beyond 15 yards or so I wouldn't like the #1. The 00 buck holds a tighter pattern with bigger pellets. I concluded by preferring the 00. Now, if you are concerned with in close fighting the #1 may be better. But then it gets back to, is it faster into employment up close than a handgun? I don't think so. I think this may be why, in true warfare, the guys are usually carrying a handgun and a battle rifle. The shotgun is a jack of all trades but a master of none. It might have been different in the old west where you'd have, say, a 10 gauge with split wads. That would really do some serious damage up close. In short, I think there's a reason the cops go with the 00 buck.

Page generated in 0.03401 seconds with 8 queries