View Single Post
Old February 10, 2019, 10:08 AM   #10
jar

Talking standards and practice for a moment.

When I practice with my current carry gun(s) I try to set certain standards. With my revolvers there are two reload drills. One is the empty-reload; where I shoot until empty then do a blind reload, eyes down range and not looking at the revolver but revolver first up, then down. The goal is maximum effect while staying aware of the threats real and potential. The second drill is the "pause" drill. It is similar but assumes that there is a break in the action. In this drill I dump whatever is in the cylinder including unspent rounds and reload. The goal here is again to keep my attention on the threat area while making sure I do have as many rounds as possible should action resume.

The semiautomatics have slight different steps. With a semi (the 380s I most often carry) it is to shoot a set of three double taps and then drop the mag. Again eyes down range, blind reload. Here the goal is to not just be aware of the threat area but also have at least one in the chamber while doing the reload. If I start with 7 rounds (6 + 1) a set of three double taps leaves me with one in chamber and an empty magazine.

When I will be carrying the Sig P230 or Sig P290RS the drill above gets varied. With the P230 I start with 7+1 so I either do a set of four double taps or if there is a pause a set of three double taps and drop the mag with one round remaining in the mag and one in the chamber and do a blind reload.

The P290RS is an outlier again and has either 6 or 8 round magazines. That can be a real problem in reality so I have at least two of each versions and carry only one version at a time. That means that if I have to actually use it I will have only one drill to remember.

Page generated in 0.03144 seconds with 8 queries