View Single Post
Old January 21, 2013, 01:26 AM   #20
Rainbow Demon

Long before I ever heard of any gun grabber arguments my reading of the Second Amendment led me to believe that not infringing on the right of the people to keep and bear arms was more about the average gun owner developing the gun handling skills that would serve him in combat.

In practically every account of the superiority of marksmanship displayed by American Riflemen in WW1, WW2, and Korea, that high level of skill was credited to these young men having learned to shoot at an early age on their own dime not through any government training. What they learned in basic training just honed those skills.
The Germans recognized this as well, and they recruited snipers from those who had engaged in hunting game in civilian life.
The British had many skilled Marksmen who'd learned to shoot well on rifle ranges at standardized targets at known distances, but relatively few who had ever hunted with a rifle, there was just not that many places for the common man to hunt unless he was a poacher. They made great use of Australian and South African troops who had hunted from an early age, and men who'd been employed as game keepers on estates in the UK.

If you want troops who can hit what they are aiming at in poor light or rain at unknown range then they will be those who started with a BB gun and worked their way up through the rimfire and finally the centerfire rifles. Same goes for those who can hit with a handgun despite fatigue , fear, or excitement.
The hands remember when the mind can not.

Page generated in 0.02595 seconds with 8 queries