View Single Post
Old December 16, 2012, 11:48 AM   #1
solocam72

Bullets for big game?

Just curious as to opinions on bullets for big game, deer and elk being the primary target. I was taught as a youngster to use a bullet that will expand well yet hold together and not destroy the meat as the main purpose we hunt these species is to eat them. I have tried a lot of bullets over the years and my favorites are the bonded bullets, the nosler accubond being my go to favorite! I have had mixed results with barnes bullets, I don't like them in my 7mag but absolutly love the little 80 grain ttsx at 3700 fps, its the only bullet I've found that will reliably hold together at that velocity, deer react as if struck by lightning. I have tried the berger vld hunting bullets, they shot superb in my 7mag but went against my hold together and not come apart rule, I tested them in a wood and they really come undone! The accubonds retain 80 percent or more of there weight when shot in the same wood. It definately explains to me why you see those big bull elk shot at amazing distances fold up like a chair, also most are high shoulder shots. I would love to see them peel the hide back and see the bloodshot damage and waste. I have great respect for berger the company as they state that the bullets are intended to penetrate 2 or 3 inches and then turn to shrappnel which accounts for some amazing camera footage of big game dropping like rocks. Anyway let's hear some opinions on your thoughts of good big game bullets

Page generated in 0.02143 seconds with 8 queries