View Single Post
Old June 8, 2014, 08:26 AM   #1
30cal_Fun

Changing out (corrosive) primers on surplus ammo???

Is it possible to change out the primer of (corrosive) surplus ammo (for a non-corrosive one)?

Oke, before I start, I think this is a stupid and potentially very dangerous idea. I have no intention of even trying it at this point, but I thought this would be an interesting question to discus.

Let me explain why I came up with this question:
I have Czech 1967 7.62x54R silvertip and Chinese 1974 7.62x39 steel core that both shoot pretty well out of my Mosin and AK47.

Non corrosive, modern production 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R is 2 or 3 times the price of surplus here in The Netherlands.
The problem is that all the 7.62x54r and 7.62x39 surplus (we have) has corrosive primers.
Primers aren't that expensive, about 4.5 cents per round, changing out the primer would give clean ammo for half the price of modern, non-corrosive ammo.

The problem is that surplus 7.62x39 and 7.62x54R has berdan primers, which means you'd have to pry out the primer with a sharp object. Pushing/hammering a sharp object in the live primer of a live round is of course a very stupid idea.
The secondary problem is that most berdan primers have odd dimensions which doesn't lend them well for reloading. My Czech 7.62x54R surplus has 6.48mm primers, which I haven't seen anywhere.

So, not taking into account the primer size problem; can it be done safely? Has it been done (safely)?

Page generated in 0.03668 seconds with 8 queries