View Single Post
Old December 18, 2012, 09:39 AM   #7
BirchOrr

moisanfan11

Quote:
I would be using it for target and hunting
Well... I was bit by the BP bug many years ago. It's been quite a journey! I started as I wanted to enjoy the extended hunting season.

I can only speak here about pistols/rifles I personally own. The pistols I use the most are a Uberti Walker, Pietta 1858 New Army and Ruger Old Army. Read the thread on the SS ROA in this column! The Uberti's seem to be slightly higher quality, but I have no complaints with Pietta nor do I want to offend anyone! MJN77 has a nice Uberti Walker at the top of this page for sale. I pretty much carry the ROA now as it's a recent purchase and like getting a new toy.

I started carrying a BP pistol for hunting as if I had a wounded animal, I could quickly put in another killing shot without reloading my long gun. Also if I had game come in at 50yds or less, I'd use my sidearm.

With in-lines, start out by FOLLOWING THE MANUFACTURER'S INSTRUCTIONS! CVA's like Powerbelts. The barrel's are made and designed to shoot those bullets. T/C's like Shock-waves (made by Hornady) and also like Barnes TMZ's or MZ's. You can spend a ton of money trying different things and most of us here have! We can't help it, it's part of the bug. Different powders, pellets, amount of powder, Goex or Swiss BP, on and on and on.

All the best to you on your journey and there's no shortage of advice to be found here!

B
Black Powder: Not because it is easy, but because it is hard, because that goal will serve to organize and measure the best of our energies and skills, because that challenge is one that we are willing to accept, one we are unwilling to postpone, and one which we intend to win...

Page generated in 0.02342 seconds with 8 queries