View Single Post
Old April 27, 1999, 08:03 AM   #3
George Stringer
Staff Alumnus

Zot, basically cut the bolt at the root. You want your cut to follow a line that will start 3/8" from the bolt body on top and end 1/8" from the bolt body on the bottom. Then using the bottom of the root and bolt handle as a "pivot point" position the bolt at a 45deg. angle from the body. Brownells sells a bolt welding jig that will allow you to position the handle in any configuration you want. But, with a little patience you can get it right without it. I don't have the patience so I use the jig. I recommend the use of heat sinks. But, you can use Brownells Heat Stop paste, pack the bolt in wet sand, or any method that will keep the heat localized at the welding point. The weld joint must be perfect; no voids. Be sure to build up around the weld. You have to come back and square off at the root afterwards and if you give yourself a little extra you aren't likely to have little valleys in the weld when you square it off. If you wan't to before or after the welding is done you can heat the handle and bend it back for that swept look. I've never brazed or soldered a scope mount. I've seen a few that have been done that way. To me it's much simple to D&T. I think if I were to do it, though, I'd just make sure the mount(s) was perfectly square with the bottom of the receiver and positioned where I wanted it. Clamp it down, check everything again at least twice, then do it. George

Page generated in 0.02909 seconds with 8 queries