View Single Post
Old June 19, 1999, 11:30 PM   #11
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Concur, generally, about target area on deer, unless they're under 150 yards and I have a rest; then it's a break-the-neck shot.

For javelina, anywhere in the head is best. There's not all that much meat, to begin with, and they don't really have a neck. I try for the eye...And a gut-shot javelina is not fun to be anywhere near.

On a javelina, there's a scent gland along the spine a few inches in front of the tail. I have always cut that off, first. (I don't cut the tarsal gland off deer.)

Javelina are tasty little critters. The hams do well as barbecue, with the tiny backstraps cooking quickly as "the cook's appetizers". Like all wild game, the secret is in not letting the meat dry out. Use no salt in the basting mix. Use tongs to turn the meat, not a fork. Turn and baste regularly, building up a crust to keep the moisture in.

Javelina hide is much tougher than a deer's, and is more firmly attached. The sooner the hide is off, the easier the skinning is. So, I prefer Keith's method for pigalina...

I've never stuck a deer; I've never had any taste problems, whether I gutted first and skinned the next day or did all the butchering immediately. The caveat here is the temperature, plus using a stick to hold the rib cavity open to cool the meat. But, again, the sooner skinned, the easier.

If, instead of Keith's method, you choose to field dress the deer by gutting, it's a minor bit tricky at the rear. You'll cut through the meat to the center of the pelvis bone, being careful with the urethra. Skin all the way around the anus. (Sharp knives are best!!!) Then, carefully cut through the center of the pelvis bone, and DON'T nick the urethra. Then, the sex organs and urethra make a handle to pull the main part of the guts out. No mess, little blood.

If you make a heart/lung shot, the big mess occurs when you cut the diaphragm. Whee! It's why I like neck shots. I split the rib cage and open up the throat. It's amazing how much greenery gets blown back up the throat, and you don't want it sitting in there if the deer is unbutchered...

The easy skinning method, back in camp: Hang the deer by the horns. Skin the neck, and just down over the shoulders. Take a rock, fold the hide over it, and tie a rope around this handle you've made. Attach other end to jeep. Drive away, slowly. At any "catch", do a bit of cutting. It's sorta like pulling off a rubber glove...

Have fun!

Well, actually, like my father said, after you shoot, the fun's over and the work starts. The ol' bastard wuz right...

Regards, Art

Page generated in 0.02963 seconds with 8 queries