View Single Post
Old June 1, 2010, 01:46 PM   #1
arcticap

Range tested a used '58 Remington

I bought another used Pietta Remington .44 Target Model and this was proofed in 1993.
It had a dent on the side of the hammer face which buckled out and formed a burr just like another 1990's Pietta 1858 was recently described as having. The nipples being much harder than the hammer face and the strong main spring seems to have caused it. The burr touches the frame just a little but it doesn't affect function.
The cylinder pin gets wedged in so tight against the frame in the last 1/8" of its travel that a rubber mallet is needed to get it unstuck and backed out for reloading using a press.
The cylinder pin also showed that it had some previous gas cutting.
The nipples are undersize for using Remington #10's so I ended up pinching all of the caps.
My son and I fired 32 shots total loaded with 35 grains of highly compressed APP fffg, an overpowder card and both .451 & .454 balls.
I forgot to bring lube for the cylinder pin so after 18 shots I had to go and collect some motor oil from my car's dip stick to use. That allowed us to keep shooting for the entire number of pre-measured powder loads that I had.
The adjustable sight was hitting ~6" low and ~6" to the left even though it was already adjusted all of the way to the right.
The elevation adjustment should be easier to do.
The APP powder loads were potent and the gun boomed without any harsh recoil, so it was very pleasant and fun to shoot using some Kentucky windage. The .454 balls may have shot a little better than the .451's, but then we weren't shooting target loads either.
My son had enough room on his memory card for this 6 second video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBC72iuzrLw

And below is a photo of the pistol and the target that was shot from 25 yards:

Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1110607a31%.JPG (159.0 KB, 320 views)

Page generated in 0.02184 seconds with 9 queries