Thread: triple 7...
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2005, 10:24 PM   #93
Steve499

Half and half olive oil and beeswax is what I use for lubing minie balls, patch lube for round ball rifles and to top off the cylinder over the ball in my 1858 Remington chambers. I also use it on leather and as a finish on the osage orange bows I make. I've been forming leather to the pistol I'm making a holster for by saturating the holster with rubbing alcohol and forming the wet leather around the gun. It dries a lot quicker than water and won't rust your pistol. I was able to make a channel for the front sight on the Remington that stays formed by that method.

The x-ray lead I mentioned seems to be pure lead by the low tech method I use. (thumbnail) The impression I can make on an ingot of it is the same as on an ingot of known pure lead and deeper than on the alloyed ingots I use for casting .38s.

MPP1423, I even used my olive oil/beeswax lube on my duty leather. When you have to get your leather replaced after it gets all chewed up and are trying to slide all the stiff, new stuff on a stiff ,new belt, that minie ball lube works like a charm. It wipes right off of the outside (we had clarino) but softens the inside and stops a lot of the creaking.

Kid, I'm afraid to try to get my Remington to shoot better than it does now with the .451 balls! If it got any better, they wouldn't even believe me at the liars table at the coffee shop and those guy's tolerance is pretty high due to all the exposure they get!

Steve

Page generated in 0.03658 seconds with 8 queries