Thread: triple 7...
View Single Post
Old November 2, 2005, 07:20 AM   #84
Remington kid

Steve, My Remingtons will take either one .454 or .451. The right way to check it out is to take the cylinder out of your gun and grease the inside of the barrel. Now holding your gun with the barrel striaght up take a .451 ball and place on the end of your barrel and useing a board set on top of the ball hit the board with a hammer so that the ball is seated flush with the end of the barrel. Now take a wood doll rod and hanner and tap the ball all the way through and out the breach side. Check the rifeling on the ball with a Mic. and see what you have. Now Mic. the inside of your cylinder chambers and see if they are close. Sometimes it will be off just a little and that could be the machining or your Mic. depending on how good it is.You want a ball a few thousands over the average between the two.
As for shaving lead both size balls will do that in most Remingtons. Mine no longer shaves the balls because I know that either one will do that so I chamfered the mouth of my cylinder chambers to make loading a little easier.
As far as which size is more accurate it's really hard for me to say because both will shoot a better group than Im capable of
The little bigger ball just seems like a better idea to me. There are some great shooters out there you say they get better accuracy from the .451 and others say the .454. You just have to try it and see what works best out of your gun. Hope this helps, Mike

Page generated in 0.03586 seconds with 8 queries