View Single Post
Old February 20, 2018, 12:10 PM   #11
Brundo

Quote:
Does it do the same thing with all magazines loaded?...What ammo are you using?...Do you see markings when ammo comes out of your mag's?...What would be the use of scratched, scraped or damaged casing's for reloading?
Quote:
Grease the rails. Put oil on the spring. Work the action with dummy cartridges at night. Was the scratch mark on the cartridge case? If so, look into the chamber and see if it's smooth.
If I racked the slide while the magazine was unloaded it did not make any unusual noise. However when I loaded a full mag and then racket the slide I noticed a little scraping. There were no markings on the round from the chamber, but on the second round there was a single scrape up the center of the casing. I figured the scraping isn't coming from the chamber but from the round being pushed into the underside of the slide. I inspected that and saw a brass colored scrape. I figured it was the tension spring in the mag. I use Winchester white box at the range and Federal hydro shock for my SD round (I'll be switching to HST though). There aren't any markings when I pull the ammo straight from the mag. I have no use for scratched and spent shells yet I just noticed it on the spent shells I picked up.

All this being said, I have been attempting to loosen up the spring in my mags by filling the mags with ammo and letting them sit for the past few days. So far this has worked. The scrapes on the rounds are less prominent (almost non existent on some rounds) now and I no longer hear a grinding noise when cambering a round. The exception to this is when I load my fully loaded 7 round mag into the gun - there is still a bit of scraping of the 2nd round in the mag. I really do think it was just the newness of the mags and their springs.

Page generated in 0.02874 seconds with 8 queries