View Single Post
Old August 24, 2011, 02:47 AM   #50
MEATSAW

I think this is coming down to differences in two main areas: 1) the design of a particular gun, and the 2) materials/construction of a gun. You can look at them independently to judge a gun, or you can view them together in a system. I think you have to do both.

This the semi-auto forum so that's what I'll stick to.

I think some designs lend themselves to more ruggedness. The H&K USP is one such design. Its simple and straightforward. Not a lot of parts, no complex linkages. Its a very rugged design.

When we talk strictly materials though we take into consideration polymer, aluminum, MIM, cast steel, and forged steel. Honestly I think steel is more rugged because of its strength. The big thing though with steel is its heavy and it rusts. Polymer and aluminum are light and require zero maintenance. In the end though, I think any polymer or aluminum pistol will have a slight disadvantage in ruggedness versus steel (one that will probably never noticed by any of us, but it still exists).

I think in this case the best summation of these in one gun is the 1911A1. If they made an all steel USP it might be a different story. The design of the 1911 I think is dated, but it works and the big factor is if you get a MIM-free all steel 1911 (stainless too maybe?) I can't think of a better candidate for "most rugged."

Page generated in 0.02546 seconds with 8 queries