View Single Post
Old September 9, 2018, 08:52 AM   #27
Ballenxj

Thanks everybody. I almost missed all these replies because I got no subscription notifications.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyosmith
I prefer a good 165 or 180 in 308 and 30-06, but 3 seasons ago the way things worked out (long story) I ended up using my Mossberg MVP 18.5" 308 with hand loaded 150 grain Winchester Power points and I was surprised at how well they retained their weight, I killed a cow, my wife killed a cow and 2 friends killed cows all with that rifle, all with the same ammo and all bullets but 2 exited the elk. One of the bullets I did recover weights 129 grains and one weighed 131. Overall, that was equal to what I expect from Nosler partitions. So I would not tell anyone that you need a heavier bullet in a 308 then a 150. Sure, I would still use a 180 if I was going to go buy some for the elk hunt, but if the bullet will retain all but about 20 grains you would probably be well off with a 150 too.

My first 2 that I always buy are the Nosler Partitions and the Accubonds now that I live in Wyoming. In the Selway Wilderness of Idaho (where I killed many of them,) I might go to the Barnes. If you hunt in dark timber and you know your impact speed will be at 2000FPS or higher the Barnes is maybe the best, but they don't open up much (or any) at impact velocities much below 2000 FPS.
Choose your bullet based on where you hunt.
Hi Wyosmith, I think I will try the new Remington ammo loaded with Barnes 168 grain slugs. I'm still fine tuning the point of impact at the range.

Page generated in 0.02660 seconds with 8 queries